Here are some tips to keep and store vegetables for as long as possible.
- Eggplant: several days in a cool place or in the refrigerator.
- Carrots: 1 week in the vegetable drawer, but not with apples because it makes them bitter.
- Tomatoes: several days at a temperature between 12 and 16 ° C, but not in the refrigerator, as they lose taste, flavor and texture.
- Zucchini: 1 week in a cool, humid place, like the vegetable drawer.
- Cabbage: they keep very well in the vegetable drawer or in a cool place.
- Cauliflowers: more fragile than cauliflowers, they only keep for 2 to 3 days.
- Endives: fragile vegetable, they keep cool in a humid place, away from light. The vegetable drawer also works well for them. They keep 4 to 5 days.
- Green beans: no more than 3 days in the refrigerator.
- Leeks: they are stored in a cool place, like a window sill
Traditionally, vegetables are cooked in boiling salted water. However, it is best to steam to prevent the vitamins and minerals from diluting in the cooking water.
Cooking in a pressure cooker, fast, is perfect and preserves the taste, texture, color and nutritional qualities. In all cases, the cooking time should be short, because the vitamins are fragile and poorly resistant to heat. In addition, “crunchy” vegetables have much more flavor.